Saturday, December 10, 2011

Gerald Lacey One On One With Brandon "BK" Kelley, December 10, 2011



By Gerald Lacey
Staff Writer
Carver Heights Quarterback Club
December 8, 2011

LEESBURG - When you mention great Boys Basketball players that played at Leesburg High School one name has to come mind and that is Brandon "BK" Kelley. Kelley helped lead Leesburg Basketball to great heights during his career. He help end a 25 year State Final Four drought in 2002 when he led the Jackets to the State Semifinals.

This season marks the ten year anniversary of that Final Four trip so I decided to contact Brandon to discuss his storied career and the 2001-2002 season.


Here is a short list of some of his milestones during his storied basketball career:

2001 Class 5A all-state Honorable Mention Team

2001 Class 5A Regional Finalist


2002 Second team Class 4A Florida Sports Writers Association's All-State Team

Varsity Letters 2000-2001, 2001-2002 

2002 State Semifinalist

Played one season each at Cowley County Community College in Arkansas City, Kan., and at Sante Fe Community College in Gainesville, Fla

Sparked Sante Fe to a 26-4 mark in 2004-05 and ranked of sixth in the nation. 

Shot 44 percent from 3-point range.

Played in the NJCAA Region VIII All-Star Game.


Scored 30 points and hit the go-ahead free throw with 1 minute and 20 seconds left in a 73-69 win over St. Augustine Nease, top-ranked in Class 3A.

Scored 63 points in 2001 Kingdom of the Sun Tournament

Orlando Sentinel Lake Sports Player of the Week January 3, 2002 

Orlando Sentinel Lake Sports Player of the Week March 6, 2002 
2000 Great Florida Shootout Semifinalist




2001 Great Florida Shootout Finalist

2001 Kingdom of the Sun Finalist

2001 Kingdom of the Sun All Tournament Team Selection

Most valuable player award at the North Marion Tournament, scoring 38 points in three games.
2004-2005:  
All-Mid-Florida Conference selection   

Sparked Santa Fe to a 26-4 mark in 2004-05 and ranked of sixth in the nation.

Shot 44 percent from 3-point range.

Played in the NJCAA Region VIII All-Star Game.

2005-2006 
Set the Clayton State single-season record for 3-point field goal percentage 47 percent

Led the Peach Belt Conference in 3-point field goal percentage and ranked third in the Peach 
Belt in steals.
 
Peach Belt Conference Player Of The Week February 26, 2007



2006-2007
Led Clayton State to Peach Belt Tournament championship game for the first time in program history.
Led Clayton State to the school's first NCAA Division II Tournament Appearance.

Led Clayton State to a number two national ranking in NCAA Division II Basketball.

Clayton State Career Records:
#10 3pt field goals made career 82
#2 3pt percentage 05-07 .392
#10 Free throws made 173
#4 Steals 123
#2 Steals per game 2.2
Varsity letters - 2005-2007


Here is an exclusive post game interview with Leesburg High School Girls Basketball Head Coach Mark Oates

Carver Heights Quarterback Club Presents:



Good Morning Brandon how are you today?

Brandon "BK" Kelley:
"Hi Gerald I am doing fine this morning"

Gerald Lacey:
Brandon you are considered as one of the top ten players to ever play boys basketball at Leesburg High School. You and your teammates helped end a 25 year State Final Four drought in the 2001-2002 season. This season will be the tenth anniversary of that accomplishment. Has the feat finally sunk in after ten years?

Brandon "BK" Kelley:
"Its been ten years already since me n my team had made history.. wow.."


Gerald Lacey: 
I always admired your game and what you bought to the program and court in terms of work ethic, will to win and leadership. On most nights you were the smallest player on the court but you played as though you were the largest on court. One game that sticks out to me was at the Great Florida Shootout in the 2001-2002 season when you guarded 6'7" Travis Outlaw now in the NBA and slow him down that night. What was the driving force behind your playing tenacity and competitiveness?

Brandon "BK" Kelley:
"Well if anybody know me I don't like to lose in whatever I play. I was always taught to never fear a man no matter the size or hype that comes with it. He bleeds like you and if you want something you have to take it out here on this court. But I have to give my credit to my cousin Chad Chandler (Former Leesburg High School Boys Basketball standout, 1994 Lake-Sumter High School Basketball All-Star) who put the ball in my hands and never stop being my #1 fan and coach."

Brandon Kelley had one of his best defensive games in his career in containing Travis Outlaw (pictured above) at the 2002 Great Florida Shootout in Kissimmee Florida.
Gerald Lacey:
You played in some of the biggest games in the history of Leesburg High School Basketball. Which one of the games standout the most to you?

Brandon "BK" Kelley: 
"I have a few games that I believe was a blockbuster night. It was my junior year and my first year on varsity."

"We were playing Eustis for the first time in Eustis, the crazy thing about that game was that it was sold out by the end of the freshman game plus tickets were sold in school and people still couldn't get in."


"The first play of the game MJ (Marlyn Bryant University of South Florida, Georgia State University, 2001 Regional Finalist, Number is retired at Leesburg.) dunked on Wesley Green (DePaul University, 2001 Regional Finalist) down the middle. We may have lost that game but it was my coming out party, I ended the game with 25 points, I think MJ had 24 and Fat (Francis Cuyler, Middle Tennessee State University, Cowley Community College, 2002 State Semifinalist) had 23 but Green stole the show with 39 points to end the game."

"I had a move that I did in that game that I still can not believe I did, plus the atmosphere was stupid crazy. The game I had 37 points in (Ranked #5 in Class 5A Jacksonville Wolfson February 22, 2001) is a game to remember because it was just us against the world."

"The atmosphere in that place was crazy, I played one of the best high school players I ever seen. It was a all out battle between two good players he scored I scored we both ended the game wit 37 points but, I came out with the victory. That was a night to remember because I poured everything I had into that game and it showed at the end."

Gerald Lacey:
Your games were always a sellout in the old Ray M. Hayes gymnasium on the campus of Leesburg High School. You also sold out most of your road games. You played in the prestigious Kingdom of the Sun and Great Florida Shootout tournaments two years in a row playing very well. Many players you played against played in the league Travis Outlaw and Darius Washington to name a few. What did you learn from the experiences? 

Kelley and his teammates lost the Championship game to Darius Washington (pictured above) and Orlando Edgewater in the 2001 Great Florida Shootout in Kissimmee Florida.
Brandon "BK" Kelley:  
"What I learned from this is love every minute of your playing days because you will never know when your bus is going to stop no matter how good you are." 

"One thing I can say is I may haven't made it to the league but what basketball did for me is give me a chance to see the world.
 
"I'm a black man from Leesburg, Florida who can say, I have been to China".
 
Gerald Lacey: 
What was it like to run out on the court at the Lakeland Center in front of 8500 screaming fans in Black and Orange at the 2002 State Final Four?


Brandon "BK" Kelley:  
"It was the most amazing feeling I ever had. Walking out that tunnel and seeing Leesburg in the gym yelling LEESBURG, LEESBURG put chills all over my body."


 

Gerald Lacey:
The rest of the team seemed to be a little rattled but you played a great game what did you do to prepare for this game?


Brandon "BK" Kelley: 

"I really didn't do anything different my cousin (Chad) taught me to be ready for the moment, so I always was, Plus the crowd is who I play for. "

Gerald Lacey:  
You started your college career out in Kansas then at Santa Fe CC and led them to their best start ever. You went to Clayton State University and had the same results. Your college coach remarked that you were a winner everywhere you played. How did you accomplish this?

Brandon "BK" Kelley:   
"Just going hard out there that's all I knew. Leave everything on the court and the result will be good."


Gerald Lacey:  
You went the championship game of a 3 on 3 tournament in your early days how special was that? Who were some of the great players that were there that you competed against?

Brandon "BK" Kelley:    
"It was great because it give me confidence in my game plus we won it. I really don't know."


Gerald Lacey:  
Which one of your coaches had the most impact on your career?
 
Brandon "BK" Kelley:    
Coach Keller had the most impact in my career because without him I probably would not have been a Yellow Jacket. He gave me a chance plus he believed in me. So I owe him a lot. Thanks Coach Keller."

Former Leesburg head coach Chad Keller at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
Gerald Lacey: 

The 2002 team had no starter taller than 6'1" and were normally smaller than the opposing team. You guys still put fear in everyone you played with your style of a relentless full court press "32 minutes of hell". You pressed the opponent no matter if you were down 10 or up 25. The press was relentless did you like playing that style of basketball?

Brandon "BK" Kelley:    
"Yes we love it. It gave us a chances to be us wild young guys (organize chaos) lol."
 


Gerald Lacey: 

You learned the game like many others before you on the famous Woodland Park basketball court. What kind of impact did this environment have on your game?
 
Brandon "BK" Kelley:   "Hollywood was the best everybody there played sports so we would play all day every sport. I learned the game really right there with my childhood friends and watching "MJ" (Micheal Jordon) every Sunday."
 
"Playing the older guys really help me think the game through."

Gerald Lacey: 

Your grandparents house is next door to the famous Mills street playground where you had a chance to play against some of the best ever. You had a chance to see former "77" state champs greats Ed Chatman, Mathis Walker and other Leesburg greats play. Did you pattern your game after some of the greats?

Brandon "BK" Kelley:   
"Not really but, from what I heard they were the man. You know "MJ" was the face of everyone when i was coming up but, I did get from from Jed Bedford."
  
Gerald Lacey: 

You went to Jacksonville Wolfson in the 2001 regional quarterfinal where you scored 37 points and went toe to toe with Will Holliman and escaped from their gym with a 2 point win. You had Leesburg legend Marlyn "MJ" Bryant on that squad, how much pressure were on you guys with so much expectations place on you guys that season?

Brandon "BK" Kelley:  
"The only thing we had on our mind was the State Final Four and Belleview. So it really was no pressure."

Belleview locked up its district title with a last-second layup by Joanthan Gibbons over Brandon Kelley and Leesburg to win, 52-50. BHS turned around and beat Leesburg again in the regional finals, 53-46. It's worth noting that the Yellow Jackets beat the Rattlers in both regular season matchups by a combined 26 points. Photo by David Mills/The Lakeland Ledger/file
Gerald Lacey: 

How did that upset by Belleview shape the rest of your career and you Brandon Kelley as a person?

Brandon "BK" Kelley: 
"I always felt like I had game but, when that happened I knew I had another level in me. It just pushed me to see how good I could be. As a person I can do anything."

Gerald Lacey: 

No one expected you guys to get to the final four in 2002 after losing Marlyn Bryant to graduation. Was it less pressure on you guys that year?

Brandon "BK" Kelley: 
"No. MJ was a big lost but the challenge for us (ME) to get to the final four was bigger."  


Gerald Lacey: 
Do you still stay close to the game?

Brandon "BK" Kelley:
"Yes I still play." 
Gerald Lacey: 
You played professionally after college. Where did you play?

Brandon "BK" Kelley:
"Went to China for a little tour"

Gerald Lacey: 
Thank you Brandon for allowing me the opportunity to talk you. Hopefully we will see your jersey hanging in the rafters in the gym soon. Me and the Carver Heights Quarterback Club appreciate your contributions to the Leesburg basketball program as a player, student and person. May God continue to bless you and your family. I pray that you prosper in everything you set your heart to do and remember "GO HARD".
Brandon "BK" Kelley: 
"You are Welcome Gerald. Thank You LORD Family N Friends, 02" LHS basketball."

Resources
Brandon "BK" Kelley
Leesburg Public Library
Article provided by:
Gerald Lacey
Staff Writer
Carver Heights Quarterback Club
1986 Varsity Jackets Football Lettermen #82
Class of 1988 Leesburg High School
leesburgyellowjacketsfootball@yahoo.com
www.leesburgyellowjacketsbasketball.com   

















Gerald is a professional Internet marketer and social media marketing expert. His online business ventures and websites generate multiple streams of income annually. His consulting clients include best selling authors and international speakers.

Gerald is the CEO/President of Lacey LLC and OmariWholesale, Inc. He runs his entire business from his home where he is able to spend quality time with his family and friends. He is passionate about helping individuals to build and monetize their personal brand online.
  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment