Monday, February 1, 2016
Super 16 basketball rankings: Master's, TFA, Leesburg, Ponciana lead the list, Sunday, January 31, 2016
By Sentinel Staff
Sunday, January 31, 2016
Updated: Monday, February 1, 2016, 6:05 a.m.
SentinelVarsity.com Sentinel Super 16 boys basketball rankings at the conclusion of the regular season:
1. Master's Academy (22-3): Closed out season on 11-game win streak. Only area loss in regular season was to Poinciana.
2. (3) First Academy (20-5): Royals were only area team invited to Montverde’s annual tournament, and impressed with a 2-1 performance.
3. (8) Leesburg (20-4): Enters 5A District 13 tournament as top seed after winning coin toss tiebreaker with Poinciana.
4. (9) Poinciana (21-4): Lone area team to beat Master’s Academy, but loss to Leesburg keeps Eagles from rising higher.
5. (10) Lake Brantley (22-3): Patriots are playing to full potential now, haven’t lost since beginning of December.
6. (11) Lake Minneola (18-7): Just in case you didn’t know how scrappy this team was, Hawks pulled out a big win against former No. 1 Windermere Prep last week.
7. (2) Windermere Prep (20-5): Freefalling. After spending six weeks atop this list, Lakers have lost four of five games in past two weeks.
8. (4) Kissimmee Osceola (18-7): Broke three-game losing streak with win against a good Auburndale team in final regular-season game.
9. (NR) Port Orange Atlantic (23-2): Sharks had one of best records in area all year, but proved they were worthy to be ranked with wins against Spruce Creek and Deltona.
10. (7) Port Orange Spruce Creek (21-4): Loss to Atlantic knocked Hawks down a few spots, but they enter 8A-1 district tournament as No. 1 seed.
11. (6) Oak Ridge (17-6): Michael Devoe helped Pioneers rebound from two-point loss against Evans by scoring 29 in win over West Orange.
12. (15) Winter Park (16-9): Closed out season on 4-1 streak behind Wyatt Wilkes’ 17.7 points and 8.6 rebounds per game.
13. (12) Trinity Prep (20-5): Finished season with loss to Crescent City, which has losses against Atlantic and Lake Mary.
14. (NR) Timber Creek (18-7): Closed regular season on seven-game win streak, including overtime victory vs. Dr. Phillips.
15. (5) Dr. Phillips (18-7): Quality wins keep Panthers in rankings, but they struggled to the finish line of regular season.
16. (NR) Mount Dora Christian (25-0): Schedule didn’t have a single Super 16 team on it, but 25-0 is 25-0.
Watch list: former No. 13 Evans (16-9), former No. 14 Hagerty (15-10), Orlando Christian Prep (14-11), Olympia (12-13), Boone (15-10).
Note: rankings include only FHSAA district member teams.
This article was provided by Gerald Lacey
Gerald Lacey is the senior sports writer covering Leesburg High School Sports for the Carver Heights Quarterback Club. You can reach him at: